Protein ice cream
by Onyah from Lapband Talk
I used this recipe’s directions, with the following ingredients:
2 ½ cups 2% milk
1/3 cup granulated Splenda
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 scoop protein powder (I used Bariatric Eating’s Peanut Butter Cookie)
I dissolved the protein powder in a small amount of milk, then stirred it in right before freezing. I also chopped up 3 Butterfinger mini-eggs leftover from Easter and added them in at the very end (when the ice cream maker had one minute left).
I scooped the finished product into little Gladware half-cup containers; it filled six. By my math, here are the stats per serving for the ice cream alone:
Calories: 90; Fat: 2 g; Carbs: 9 g; Protein: 8 g
And with the Butterfinger pieces (totally worth it, in my opinion):
Calories: 112; Fat: 3 g; Carbs: 12 g; Protein: 8 g
It’s smooth, creamy, tasty, and makes me very happy. The NYT article explains how the cornstarch helps keep crystals from forming, and makes for ice-creamey texture without high-fat ingredients such as heavy cream or egg yolks (though I do intend to experiment with some egg-based recipes in the future – it’s protein, after all)!
Next I wanna try it with strawberry protein powder and throw in some chopped berries. Yum!

No comments:
Post a Comment